CLASS POLICIES AND PROCEDURES:
KINGSLAND JR/SR HIGH
(507) 346-7276 extension 3105
Physical Education is a required class. You will earn credit upon completion of the course which is a requirement for graduation.
Standards: The National Physical Education Standards include:
1. Student demonstrates competency in motor skills and movement patterns needed to perform a variety of physical activities. (Physical Skills)
2. Student demonstrates an understanding of movement concepts, principles, strategies, and tactics as they apply to the learning and performance of physical activities. (Knowledge)
3. Student participates regularly in physical activity. (Participation/Physical Activity)
4. Student achieves and maintains a health-enhancing level of fitness.
5. Student exhibits responsible personal and social behavior in physical activity settings. (Behavioral Skills)
LOCKS AND LOCKERS: Lockers are available and you should use one for your clothes and valuables during class. Locks are a MUST!! You are responsible for bringing in your own lock. (I do have a few used ones that may be purchased for $2) You must give me the combination or a copy of the key in case of an emergency. There are no cameras in the locker room and there have been issues in the past with things missing!!
Course Content: Physical Education consists of a variety of activities with an emphasis placed on individual fitness and team activities. We will be using the national standards-based SPARK curriculum.
- You may report to the locker rooms to change right away at the beginning of class. Attendance will be taken approximately 8 minutes after the initial bell rings. If you are not in the gym or outside ready to go in that time period, you will be marked tardy. You are encouraged to have a change of clothes for P.E. The clothes should be appropriate for class and follow the school dress code. You need to wear tennis shoes for class.
- At the end of class, you will have at least 10 minutes to shower and change. Students are encouraged to shower. After changing and showering, you won't be allowed to leave the hallway area until the bell rings.
A 95-100% B+ 87-89 C+ 77-79 D+ 67-69 NC 59
A- 90-94 B 83-86 C 73-76 D 63-66
B- 80-82 C- 70-72 D- 60-62
- Grades for this class will be based on total points. Most of the points are earned through daily participation. Points are also taken away for poor sportsmanship, inappropriate language, and any other behavior that disrupts the class. It is the teacher’s discretion to fail a student who has excessive non-dress/non participation days (without medical excuse). More than 7 days is considered excessive. Grading will also be based upon the student demonstrating competency in all of the standards.
- Some of the total points will be earned through written work, tests, projects, etc. The PACER test will also be given weekly as a running/endurance test.
- If you are not able to participate in class, you will be given a written assignment to earn your 10 points for that day. If you are unable to participate for multiple days, you may be given a project or multiple assignments depending on the number of days you will be out.
- Excused Absences – according to the student handbook.
- If a student has an excused absence, daily participation points will not be earned. There will be days in the schedule where students can earn their make-up points by doing an extra physical activity. They will be given a choice as to whether or not they want the chance to get those points back.
Excuses from daily participation – If a student is in class, but not participating, an explanation is needed for the teacher. Students will need a separate note for each day from a parent or guardian explaining the reason. If a student is injured or ill a third consecutive day, a medical excuse will be needed.
All students are expected to behave in a manner that allows for their safety and the safety of others. Please observe and follow these safety rules:
- Unexcused/Non-Extenuating Absences – according to the student handbook. You will not be allowed to earn make-up points for these.
- Use equipment appropriately. Please help put equipment away.
- Follow the spirit of the rules for safe play. Appropriate language and good sportsmanship are expected. NO food, beverages, gum or jewelry allowed!