Student Instructions: (Use the Form link)
Student: When requesting a letter of reference/recommendation from a teacher, be aware to:
- Think of teachers who know you well.
- Student Information Work-Sheet
- Fill out the work-sheet as completely as possible
- Not all sections may apply to every student
- Fill out one work-sheet per reference letter requested
• Written Statement
- Create a written statement describing yourself by including:
- Your academic interests / plans for the future
- Your strengths
- Attitude and/or skills which may help you be academically successful in your post- high school plans
- Attach your written statement to this worksheet
- Make an appointment to ask the teacher / teachers to write a letter of recommendation for you.
- Plan ahead to meet your timeline
- Allow each teacher 10-14 days for the completion of the letter
- DO NOT assume the letter will be completed if you leave the request in the teacher’s mailbox.
- Make sure you make a personal contact with the teachers
- During the appointment provide:
- A self addressed, stamped envelope
- Completed information work-sheet
• Thank You Letters:
- Write a short “Thank You” letter (note) to the teachers who have supported you and provided a reference letter
- “Thank You” letters (notes) may be e-mailed to the teachers utilizing their school e-mail addresses