These tips can help you figure out an unknown word.
1. Ask yourself: Do the pictures or words look right, sound right, make sense?
2. Ask yourself: Do the words and pictures match?
3. Focus on the beginning and ending sounds in a word as a clue to what the word might be.
4. Know that letters can make more than one sound, so try more than one sound as you practice saying the word.
Ex: The word chef doesn't start with the same sound as the word cheese.
Chef sounds more like shef.
5. Look for chunks of letters and sounds in a word. You might even see words within a word.
Ex: Manager has two words within it. manager
6. Skip the word and then come back to it after you understand more about what the sentence or paragraph is about.